So, up this morning and out the door! Granted, there were multiple pushes of the snooze button, but I headed out the door this morning none the less. The humidity was so thick I felt like I was going to drown, but running in the low 70s (compared to the 90s) was nice.
I took the weekend off (see previous post for all of my excuses) which brought me to 4 days in a row without running. This causes a couple of unfortunate side issues. 1) It’s hard to get up and go running. It seems that past 3 days off – is where my motivation takes a hit. It also seems to be length of time off before my surgery site (for those who weren’t here in January, I had a left inguinal hernia repaired in Jan.) starts to cause me pain. The Doctor is a little stumped that lack of exercise causes it to hurt – but regular exercise keeps me pain-free. I figure it beats the opposite way – even if that would make more sense. Not many people have built-in motivation like that.
All tangents aside however, it was a pleasant (if slow) run. For the first two miles there was no one around, then the last mile I went by 5 or 6 runners. Apparently a lot of people head out the door for their morning exercise at 7! Must be nice, I am supposed to be headed off to work at 7! My Achilles tendon was still tight – the first .5 to 1 mile I had a noticeable limp until it loosened up. Not painful, just really, really tight. I need to figure out what to do about this…
Tonight I am trying Yoga for the first time. My work has a “Health and Wellness” program, and this session is 8 weeks of Yoga. I am looking forward to it – as its something I have always wanted to try. I haven’t been able to touch my toes since long before my age went to double digits. Maybe this will help me get a little bit closer to reaching those wiggly things I can see at the end of my feet (even when wearing shoes thanks to VFFs!)
Complete subject change now – (I feel its nice to warn you) – I have been looking over the race schedule for this year. I miss road races, and have done very little of it this year. Partially because I don’t wish to push and injure myself, and partially due to simple timing issues. I have always enjoyed the 5k distance, but think I need to be doing longer races (or longer races as well.)
Looking ahead, some of the races I am considering:
- Aug 14 – Warrior Dash (this one isn’t considering, the wife and I are running it – but we are running for fun, not for speed.)
- Aug 28 – Chris Thater Memorial 5K – I have run this the last two years. The only issue could be that there is a 10k the day before – 3rd Annual Time To Sperr Memorial Run – and I wonder if I might be better off doing that one. But the Thater is a couple blocks from my house..
- 4th of Sept – Monster Marathon and HM Trial Runs – I was thinking a half-marathon on trails could be fun. I wouldn’t concentrate on being FAST on this one, just enjoying the run.
- 11th of Sept – Ithaca 5 & 10 Mile Runs – not sure which I would do, probably the 10 miles.
- 15th of Oct – 29th Annual Octoberfast 5K and 10 K – Prob. the 10k. I have run the 5k, but it was over 10 years ago. The course was great and pretty (leaves change around this time)
- 30th of Oct – Marine Corps Marathon – Now this is a definite – and what I am training for! WOOT!
****** Have you entered for your chance to win a Free Road ID in my “100th Post Competition?” (No Purchase Neccesary!) *****
This is post Number 86, the winner will be announced in just 15 more posts!