Disaster strikes (no, not that)

Last night, a true disaster occured.  Before I go further into it, let me reassure you – I am not injured so its not THAT sort of disaster.

I was running on my treadmill after deciding that five miles in my Sauconys would be nice, watching Battlestar Galactica on the tablet… And then.. It happened.  I suddenly realized, I didn’t really care what happened.   It seems I have over-done it on the show, and I am sick of it.  I must have felt it coming on as I wasn’t as excited as usual to get running.  Now, I am faced with the disaster of not knowing what to watch while I run.

dreadmill

You see my friend, if I don’t have something engaging to watch – then it goes back to being the “Dread Mill.”  My warmup, five-mile run and cool down will be come the longest hour of my day. IT might even be longer than that last hour, spent tossing and turning in bed just wishing I could sleep.

This is where you, my friends and readers come in.  Please, help suggest shows that I can watch on Netflix/Hulu to stave of the eternal boredom that a treadmill represents!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

therapyNow that we have THAT out-of-the-way.  I hopped on the treadmill last night, and pounded out 5 miles.  Considering my lack of interest in the show I was watching, the run itself was nice and soothing. I had some stressful things happen during the day yesterday – but as usual, they weren’t enough to last through a five-mile run! (Running. It’s cheaper than therapy!)  I did feel the run in my knees again, though I suspect it is the shoes.  I plan on alternating between the VFFs and the Kinvaras here on out – so I should get enough information to verify that pretty quickly.  I worry that it also might be a case of “too much too soon” that is causing it, which is why I am going to check it out by swapping shoes out!  With my injury history, I worry that any twinge or pain is caused by doing too much.

15 Minutes of Yoga ended the workout!  Still Can’t touch my toes.

Nike_RunRunRun

Advertisements
About

I run, because I am a runner. Having realized that I have always "been a runner" - even when I went years with out running, I am learning how it has integrated itself in all aspects of my life. When I started running in highschool, my perspective on life changed. Funny that I didn't realize how much it had affected it until just recently.

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Plantar Faciitis, running, running shoes, vibram five fingers
15 comments on “Disaster strikes (no, not that)
  1. Halfathoner says:

I’m sure our tastes are very different, but I like to run to shows with music in them, like Glee and Dancing with the Stars. I also love Don’t Trust the The B**** in Apt 3, Modern Family, and (this one we might agree on) The Walking Dead.

• Robinson says:

I have had others suggest “The Walking Dead” – I think that I may try that one out this week, I appeciate the suggestion!

While I understand the music – and how it can be helpful, I think a plot I have to (Somewhat) concentrate on helps to alleviate the mind-numbing boredom and tedium of the treadmill..

I will google Modern Family, I haven’t heard of that one.

2. jend1229 says:

Have you seen the show Dexter? Super entertaining. Also, reruns of Fraiser (over 20 seasons!) are hilarious.

• Halfathoner says:

I have not seen Dexter, but LOVE Frasier. Was he really on for 20 seasons? I know he played that character, between Frasier and Cheers, for over 20 years. When I used to Nordic Track I would get TV shows through iTunes and set up my computer on the front of the Nordic Track. I’m not sure if I could do that on the treadmill… I never tried. But I agree with you… even with an iPod staring at the wall makes it a Dreadmill.

• jend1229 says:

Recently watched the entire show start to finish on Netflix. I think it is only 10 or 11 seasons but each season is over 20 episodes. I think there are more than 250 episodes in total.

• Robinson says:

I found that most treadmills have a spot to hold a book or magazine. A tablet/Ipad fits in there perfectly!

Combine that with Netflix/Crackle/Hulu/Amazon – and you have all sorts of potential entertainment!

• Robinson says:

I saw 2 seasons of Dexter -that one might not be bad at all. THanks!

3. atalanta3 says:

The Danish TV series ‘the Killing’ was really good (series 1 and 2) if you don’t mind subtitles!

4. Halfathoner says:

Where did you find The Killing? It’s not on iTunes.

• atalanta3 says:

You have Danish rellies – wow, how cool is that?! We bought dvd’s in the UK – I do hope you can find it in a version for yor tablet. It is on Amazon instant video – does that work?

we really enjoyed it – my husband even got me the famous Sarah Lund Danish sweater!

• Halfathoner says:

My grandparents came over, so I have lots of cousins there. I met 20 relatives when I went this past July! Of course they all speak perfect English, but I want to learn Danish just because. But it’s hard! “Jeg vil gerne have noget at drikke” means “I want something to drink.” It’s pronounced “Yay vil GAYann he noler a drayge.” So the speaking isn’t hard — it’s the reading. Nothing sounds like you think it should. But I’m starting to catch on… a little.

5. […] Disaster strikes (no, not that) (onceandfuturerunner.com) […]

6. heyalala says:

I’m an advocate for Dexter as well – something about that show just sucks you in and makes the time fly by. Also the first three seasons of True Blood were really good, although it might be a little risque for the gym! You might get funny looks from the people running next to you. Ha!