I’ve been working on the me-I-want-to-be this year, and the remarkable thing is that come February, I still am! This wasn’t a “Resolution,” but more of a realization that I wasn’t where I wanted to be on my 40th birthday – and that this was rapidly approaching. What I was doing, wasn’t going to get me there and I needed to up my game.
Some of the things I want to be on my 40th –
- Rich. I figure my best bet is the lottery on this one, after all the birthday is only 3 months away.
- Skinny. The whole 30 was a great start to it, getting me half-way to my “maximum” I want to be at on my birthday. I am continuing to eat healthy and exercise in order to get the rest of the way there.
- Back in Running shape. Hence my daily exercise through January. I’ve switched over to alternating running and swimming, as these are two sports I have always enjoyed. I swam competitively until I entered high-school, when I switched over to running.
- Get organized. This one is a big one for me, because I have the greatest of intentions, but the worst of memories. Consequently I MEAN to do lots of things, but I forget. My desire for organization actually has subcategories…
Working out – I want to lift regularly (As strength training is really a requirement for excellent running AND swimming), and I think that a set schedule would really help me out. Consequently, my wife and I made an additional PT appointment this morning so that we could work one out with Rachel (our personal trainer.)
- Work – You can imagine the issues that a poor memory can cause at work. This is fortunately, an easy solution. I have upgraded my phone to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and use it to take notes. (I’m thinking that is why they came up with the witty name “note”) When I was in the Navy (back in the days of wooden sailing ships), I carried a notebook in my back pocket at all times. This notebook was my “portable brain.” It had my to-do lists, my goals, my shortcut commands for the computer… Well, I always have my phone, so it seems obvious that it would work! The Note-4 has the s-pen, which allows for quick easy scribbling, which is much faster than typing out reminders.
- Financially – I won’t bore you on this one with details, but it IS one of the goals. It applies here, because it will let me sign up for more races. (don’t tell my wife!)
- Be bringing my wife on monthly dates, without the kids. This got set by the side lines before the holidays, it needs to come back!
All of these are in progress, with 2 (and a part of the third) involving that workout schedule!
Tuesday – Run day
BD Incline Bench
Flat Bench DB Chest Fly
Wednesday – Swim Day
DB Squat/ Sumo Squat/ Plank
Angled Leg Press/ Lunges/ Roman Chair
Laying Hamstring Curl
Friday – Run Day
DB Shoulder Press
Sat – Swim Day
Sun – Long Run Day
Now the schedule is set as Tuesday – Friday, but that will fluctuate depending on schedules. If the schedule is clear all week, then Wed. will probably be a recovery day, with Thursday and Friday pushed back a day.
It also means there are going to be double work out days in there, so I will be getting up early on days… But I’ll try to limit my whining to tuesdays..